The first edition of Shri Aditya Kumar Chaturvedi Memorial Annual Intercollegiate Debate Competition was organized by Avadh Girls’ PG College on 23 October 2017. The topic for the debate was “Unrestrained Freedom of Speech and Expression is threat to the society and nation.”
- The debate was adjudicated by Mr. Umesh Raghuvanshi, Associate Editor, Hindustan Times; Mr. Sudhir Mishra, Editor, Navbharat Times and Mr. Manwendra Kumar Tiwari, Asst. Prof.(Law) Ram Manohar Lohia National Law University.
- President, Avadh Girls’ PG College, Ms. Zarine Viccajee was also present on the occasion.
- Students from 10 colleges and universities in Lucknow enthusiastically participated in the event.
- It was a lively and charged atmosphere, with participants speaking on
- such a contemporaneous topic that has also sparked debate across the nation.
- In their address to the audience, the judges praised the participants for conducting themselves with confidence and speaking eloquently.
- They emphasized the importance of a spirit of questioning and the fact that opinions are not absolute;
- Furthermore, they were relative and should be embraced with openness.
- The underlying message was that the anachronistic tenets of law and constitution need to be challenged and revised.
- President, Avadh Girls’ PG College, Ms. Zarine Viccajee called upon the participants and everyone in the audience to be the “thinking youth”.
- Cash Prizes worth Rs. 3000, 2000 and 1000 and trophies were awarded to the first, second and third winners respectively.
- The results of the Debate Competition were as follows:
- First Position:Binish Zehra Zaidi(National P.G. College)
- Second Position: Divita Singh (University of Lucknow)
- In addition, third Position: Shambhavi Pandey(Avadh Girls’ PG College )and Swati Singh(University of Lucknow)
- Furthermore, the award for the best team was won by Swati Singh and Divita Singh from University of Lucknow.