Festivals are an opportunity to gorge on food delights. For the ongoing Onam celebrations, go for some homemade delicacies using ingredients like raw mango and coconut milk.
Read also:Try some different recipes in summers!
Experts list down three dishes that one can enjoy this Onam:
- Recipe of Olan, which is ash gourd and cowpeas stewed in coconut milk.
Total time to prepare and cook: 40-45 minutes.
- Cow peas (Vanpayar): 1/2 cup; Ash gourd: 1 cup (chopped); Pumpkin: 1 cup (chopped); Green chillies: 3 (slit).
- Thin coconut milk: 1/2 cup; Thick coconut milk: 1/2 cup; Curry leaves: 10.
- Coconut oil: 1 tablespoon; Mustard seeds: 1/4 table spoon; Pomegranate seeds: 1/4 of the pomegranate; Salt to taste
Read also:Some alternative and healthy breakfast options for you!
- Soak the red cow peas (Vanpayar) for 4-5 hours, dice the pumpkin into small cubes.
- In addition,add green chillies (sliced length wise), salt and the soaked red cow peas to this.
- Cook it for a few minutes and drain.
- Add the thick coconut milk and within 2-3 minutes add the thin coconut milk too.
- Allow it to boil. After 5-7 minutes, take it off the flame and add three tablespoons of thick coconut milk.
- Add salt, if necessary.
- Heat oil in a pan, add the mustard seeds and curry leaves.
- When the seeds start crackling, turn off the flame and add these to the dish.
- For garnishing, pomegranate seeds could be added.
- Recipe for Kaalan, a raw mango and yoghurt curry.
- 1 cup peeled green mangoes; 4 slit green chillies; 1/2 cup water; 1 teaspoon salt; 2 tablespoons oil.
- In addition,1 teaspoon mustard seeds; 1/4 teaspoon ground fenugreek; 6 curry leaves.
- Furthermore,3 red chillies cut halved; 4 cups plain yoghurt, lightly beaten
- For Coconut Paste.
- 1 cup grated fresh coconut; 1 pinch cumin seeds; 1/2 teaspoon chilli powder; 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- In a medium pan, cook the mango pieces with the green chillies, salt and water until all the water has evaporated.
- Keep aside. Heat the oil in a small skillet and add the mustard seeds.
- When they burst, add the fenugreek, curry leaves and red chillies.
- Add the prepared coconut paste (see above) and saute for a couple of minutes over low heat.
- Furthermore,stirring continuously, taking care not to brown the mixture.
- Add the cooked mangoes and yoghurt.
- Keep stirring over low heat to prevent curdling for 2-3 minutes until the gravy becomes thick.
- Remove from heat and continue to stir until the Kaalan cools.
UTTAR PRADESH NEWS की अन्य न्यूज पढऩे के लिए Facebook और Twitter पर फॉलो करें