If good care is not taken, monsoon can be a bad sign for your silver jewellery. To keep your silver shining bright, store it in a cool and dry place. You can also place a piece of chalk or a container of silica gel in the storage area, say experts.
Some tips by experts:
- Due to its properties, silver is more prone to the effects of moisture causing
it to tarnish and oxidise, so it’s important to store it at dry locations.
- Try placing them in silica gel bags as they absorb moisture in the
environment and prevent them from blackening.
- Store your jewellery in separate bags.
- These bags need to breathe so preferably cotton ones.
- And avoid using paper tissues to dry the jewellery as the fibers can scratch
- Store your silver jewellery in an area with low humidity, and also keep the
closures and clasps unhooked so that they don’t rub with each other
causing damage, especially in the monsoon season where they are
surrounded by humidity and moisture in the air.
- Remove your jewellery before going to shower or even before washing
- Avoid wearing jewellery before heading outdoors while it is raining.
- Silver has a tendency to turn black in monsoon so to clean your silver
jewellery, wash it using toothpaste and a soft cotton cloth or you can clean
it with warm water and dry it with clean cotton.
- Prefer a jewellery box with soft interior.
- And hard exterior to keep your silver pieces as it provides adequate
protection to them.
- Furthermore, it will protect your jewellery against the outer pressure.
- Also saves the articles from being scratched and preserves the original shine.