While tattoos and body piercings are an increasingly popular form of self-expression, it is important for young people to carefully weigh the consequences and potential risks associated with such body modifications, suggests a clinical report.
Read also:Do you drink Coffee before Workout?
According to researchers:
- In most cases, teens just enjoy the look of the tattoo or piercing.
- But we do advise them to talk any decision over with their parents or another adult first, said Expert.
- They may not realise how expensive it is to remove a tattoo, or how a piercing on your tongue might result in a chipped tooth.
- The recommendations stated that while societal acceptance of tattoos and piercings has increased, there may still be repercussions.
- This includes losing out on job opportunity as well as suffering infections.
- Further, before getting a tattoo or piercing, one should make sure the salon is sterile, clean and reputable.
- The facility should also be regulated by the government and provide clients with information.
- On how to care for the area that has been tattooed or pierced afterward, the researchers emphasised.
“Reputable tattoo parlours and piercing salons should provide a long list of dos and don’ts on how to care for the area that was worked on, and what signs might indicate a problem,” said lead author.
- These services have come a long way, safety-wise, but it’s best to proceed with caution.
- Moreover, someone considering a tattoo should also make sure that their immunisations are up to date and that they are not taking any medication that compromises their immunity, the report said.