Do you feel the pressure to put on a happy face, when you are actually sad? Beware, it can take a toll on your mental health, a study has showed.
Read also:Why meditation is must?
According to a study:
- The findings showed that the pressure to feel upbeat can make you feel downbeat.
- While embracing your darker moods without judging or trying to change them may help cope with their stress more successfully.
- We found that people who habitually accept their negative emotions experience fewer negative emotions.
- In addition,which adds up to better psychological health,said expert.
- By contrast, people who commonly resist acknowledging their darkest emotions.
- Or judge them harshly, can end up feeling more psychologically stressed.
- Those who generally allow such bleak feelings as sadness, disappointment and resentment.
- To run their course reported fewer mood disorder symptoms than those who critique them or push them away, even after six months.
- Maybe if you have an accepting attitude toward negative emotions, you’re not giving them as much attention.
- But, if you’re constantly judging your emotions, the negativity can pile up.
Read also:Supportive partner leads to success!
- For the study,tested the link between emotional acceptance and psychological health.
- The results showed that those who did not feel bad about their negative emotions showed higher levels of well-being than their lesser accepting peers.
- And, the group that typically avoids negative feelings reported more distress than their more accepting peers.
- It turns out that how we approach our own negative emotional reactions is really important for our overall well-being.