Do you like Coke while your partner prefers Pepsi? Beware, difference in brand choices can affect our happiness in relationships more than shared interests or personality traits, suggests a research.
Read also:Common mosquito can carry Zika virus!
What experts say?
- People think compatibility in relationships comes from having similar
backgrounds, religion or education.
- But we find those things don’t explain how happy you are in life nearly as
much as this notion of brand compatibility.
- The findings showed that partners who had low power in their relationships those who do not feel they can shape their partner’s behaviour tend to find themselves stuck with their partner’s preferred brands, leading for unhappiness.
- If you are lower in relationship power and have different brand
preferences than your partner, you’re probably going to find yourself stuck with your partner’s favourite brands, over and over again. This could lead to a death-by-a-thousand-cuts feeling.”
- “Most couples won’t break up over brand incompatibility, but it leads to
the low power partner becoming less and less happy.”
- The team conducted experiments in several settings. However all produced the same result.
- The researchers used brand preferences in soda, coffee, chocolate, beer
and automobiles to study individuals and couples, some of whom were
tracked over two years.
- These results were combined with findings on relationship power and
- “It’s an extremely robust effect, we found it over and over and over again,”expert added.
Read also:Best street food for your appetite!