Another big controversy over beef, Former defense Minister and current Goa CM Manohar Parrikar’s statement over beef can be a problem for him and BJP as well. Vishva Hindu Parishad has demanded resignation of Parrikar. In addition, Parrikar said that Goa will never face shortage in beef production.
The statement on beef was given at Goa Vidhan Sabha:
- Parrikar had given statement over beef at Goa Vidhan Sabha on Tuesday.
- He said, union territory will never face shortage in beef production.
- In addition to which Parrikar said that if the UT faces any kind of reduction in beef production, it will be imported from Karnataka.
- In addition, he said that the meat is still imported from Belgam so as to ensure that the UT never lacks in meat.
- He said that he’ll ensure that the imported beef is well tested by authorized doctor before bringing it to markets.
2000 KG Beef Production Daily:
- Parrikar also informed about Ponda Situated Goa Meat Complex.
- In addition, he said that it is the only authorized slaughter house in the UT.
- It produces around 2000 kg beef daily.
- The rest of the beef is supplied by Karnataka.
- The government has no intention of banning the import of animals for slaughter from other states.
- Most noteworthy is the fact the in backward regions of Goa, Beef is eaten on a regular basis.
- The backward classes of Goa constitute almost 30% of the total population of the Union territory.
Statement may act as catalyst in provoking violence:
- In UP, BJP strongly opposes cow-slaughter and wants ban on beef.
- In the past few months incidents are reported of lynching and murders in the name of ‘Gau Raksha’
- Parrikar’s statement can be a problem for BJP as VHP has jumped into this debate.