After tackling the issue of Prostitution with ‘Gulabee’, Los Angeles based Filmmaker Tushar Tyagi’s upcoming movie ‘Kashi’ is set to tackle the issue of open defecation in India and expressed that his movie is different than Toilet Ek Prem Katha.
About a teenage girl:
- Recently released Toilet Ek Prem Katha starring Akshay Kumar and Bhumi Pednekar,
- dealt with open defecation issue but Tushar Tyagi expressed that his movie is about a teenage girl, not a married couple.
- “Whereas in Kaashi it’s about a teenage girl, who is devastated of defecation out in open farms.
- Being from a poor family her mother doesn’t have money to get a toilet constructed in their home,
- and father who was the earning hand of the house died several years ago. Aware of her mother’s struggle,
- Kashi takes on the responsibility of getting a toilet built in her house on her shoulders” added Tushar.
- Filmmaker Tushar Tyagi’s film Kaashi, promoting the Indian government’s Beti Bachao,
- Beti Padhao and Swacch Bharat programmes, is all set to contest at major film festivals including the prestigious Sundance Film Festival.
- The story of ‘Kashi’ surrounds a poverty-stricken teenage girl who is adamant to build a toilet in her house.
- The movie features child artist Urvashi Singh and Ishrat Khan.
- “It was amazing working with both of them, I was so blessed to have such
- dedicated and hardworking set of actors on Kashi, and they both are a talent powerhouse.
- Urvashi Singh, who is just 13, she had never been to a village before this, even she was so amazed to learn about open defecation problem.
- She was so moved by the issue that she promised me to give her 100 percent efforts” said Tushar.
- Tushar is a graduate of New York Film Academy and calls himself an edgy filmmaker.
- Tushar’s Kaashi will also participate in Atlanta Film Festival and Florida Film Festival.