Three Indian films, including Anurag Kashyap’s “Mukkabaaz” and Hansal Mehta’s “Omerta”, will represent the country at the 42nd edition of the prestigious Toronto International Film Festival where works from the US, Britain, France, Germany and Spain will also be shown from September 7-17.
Big moment for directors
- As part of the Special Presentations 2017, “Mukkabaaz” (The Brawler) will have its World Premiere as also “The Hungry” by Bornila Chatterjee.
- “And Team ‘Mukkabaaz’ is going to TIFF 2017,” Anurag posted on Facebook.
- Furthermore, National Award winning filmmaker Mehta’s “Omerta”, starring National Award-winning actor Rajkummar Rao,
- will have its World Premiere at TIFF in the Special Presentations Opening Film category.
- Mehta said in a statement: “‘Omerta’ is my most provocative film so far. It is a chilling political thriller – a reminder of the volatile times we live in. I’m delighted for the entire team that has patiently and diligently worked on this very difficult film.”
- Excited about the world premiere at TIFF, Rajkummar in addition said: “I’m extremely happy that it’s been selected for TIFF.
- After ‘Shahid’ it’s my next film that’s been selected for this prestigious film festival.
- “‘Omerta’ has a very universal connect. It talks about issues that everyone in the world can relate to,
- especially in the times that we are living in and I think it’s mine and Hansal Sir’s most explosive film together till date.
- For producer Nahid Khan, who is making her debut at TIFF with “Omerta”, it is a big moment.
- Producer Shailesh Singh, who has teamed up with Mehta and Rajkummar again
- after “Shahid” and “Aligarh”said: “It is a wonderful feeling.”
- Furthermore, as part of the Special Presentations Closing Film, “Victoria and Abdul” by Stephen Frears
- will have its North American Premiere. It is Indian actor Ali Fazal’s Hollywood leading debut.