Snapchat could be best social tool: Study
At a time when people struggle with a seemingly diminishing attention span, Snapchat could be the best form of communication but its overuse could make you addictive, researchers say.
- For certain people, Snapchat enables them to overcome communication apprehension by using a different means of communication where they do not have a threat in their face.
- At the same time, there are people who are addicted to it.
- For the study, researchers recruited students where students earn extra credit in certain classes for participating in online surveys.
- They also administered the survey to those who responded to requests through TechAnnounce.
- The official email announcement/communication method for Texas Tech University -totalling almost 500 students altogether.
- The survey asked students who use Snapchat about their reasons for using the medium, including needs and motivations.
- It also asked about general social media use motivations.
- Such as personality characteristics and what made them tend to gravitate toward Snapchat as a social medium.
- It also asked questions to help researchers analyse differences between males and females.
- The brevity of Snapchat posts was a key factor for two big reasons.
- One, people using Snapchat felt much more trustworthy with how they shared content with others.
- Two, because the content disappears quickly, users are able to share their lives.
- And don’t feel the pressure to present themselves in any extraordinary form — they can just be their normal, real self, researchers said.
- “They thought that was a good way to maintain ties with people they were already very close with, interpersonally,” Delacruz said.
- The researchers also mentioned that Snapchat can be a useful tool to help overcome apprehension about communicating on a public forum.
- It can also swing the other way and become addictive.
“Knowing their motivations would definitely help people who advise those with the addiction. It can help them have a better understanding of how to be confident and effective communicators,” the student added.
- Enjoy Diwali sans guilt - October 17, 2017
- Essentials every man should carry - October 17, 2017
- Right footwear this festive season - October 17, 2017
- Head to toe, go for festive fashion - October 17, 2017
- Day 3: The District Level Kho-Kho championship 2017 - October 17, 2017
- Technoites celebrated Pre-Diwali in college campus - October 15, 2017
- Day 2: The District Level Kho-Kho championship 2017 - October 15, 2017
- Realtooth’s New Branch : Smile like a Boss - October 15, 2017
- Blaze of Art: Handmade Things in this Diwali - October 15, 2017
- The District Level Kho-Kho championship 2017 - October 15, 2017