There is good news for people who are not getting proper sleep due to stress. Researchers, led by an Indian-origin scientist, have found that an active component rich in sugarcane and other natural products may ameliorate stress and help in having sound sleep.Read also:Prevent diabetes from dark chocolates
According to a research:
- Currently available sleeping pills do not address stress component and often have severe side effects.
- Sleep loss is also associated with certain other diseases including obesity, cardiovascular diseases, depression and anxiety.
- The research group found that octacosanol reduces stress and restores stress-affected sleep back to normal.
- This compound is abundantly present in various everyday foods such as sugarcane, rice bran, wheat germ oil, bee wax etc.
- The crude extract is policosanol, where octacosanol is the major constituent.
- Policosanol and octacosanol have already used in humans for various other medical conditions.
- In the current study, the researchers investigated the effect of octacosanol on sleep regulation in mildly stressed mice by oral administration.
- It reduced corticosterone level in blood plasma, which is a stress marker, the findings showed.
- The octacosanol-administered mice also showed normal sleep, which was previously disturbed due to stress.
- The researchers found that sleep induced by octacosanol was similar to natural sleep and physiological in nature.
- But the treatment did not affect sleep in normal animals.
- These results demonstrated that octacosanol is an active compound that has potential to reduce stress and to increase sleep.
- And it could potentially be useful for the therapy of insomnia caused by stress.
- Octacosanol can be considered safe for human use as a therapy.
- Because it is a food-based compound and believed to show no side effects.
- However, well-planned clinical studies need to be carried out to confirm.
- In addition,its effect on humans for its stress-mitigation and sleep-inducing potentials.