Smartphone apps are an effective treatment option for depression, a finding which may pave the way for safe and accessible interventions for the millions of people with the mental disorder, researchers have confirmed.Read also:Read how friends can change your mood
What study says?
- The results showed that smartphones open up non-stigmatising and self-managing avenues of care for the people with depression.
- Because smartphones can help them monitor, understand and manage their own mental health.
- The majority of people in developed countries own smartphones.
- Including younger people who are increasingly affected by depression," said Expert.
- Smartphone devices may ultimately be capable of providing instantly accessible and highly effective treatments for depression.
- In addition,reducing the societal and economic burden of this condition worldwide.
- Importantly, no difference was found in apps which apply principles of mindfulness compared to cognitive behavioural therapy or mood monitoring programmes.
- Apps, which are use as an "integrative medicine" approach.
- In addition,can be particularly useful for improving mood.
- And tackling symptoms in patients with a range of mental health symptoms.
- Also conditions including major depression, mild to moderate depression, bipolar disorder, anxiety and insomnia, the researchers said.
- For the study, the team systematically reviewed 18 randomised controlled trials which examined a total of 22 different smartphones-delivered mental health interventions.
- The studies involved more than 3,400 male and female participants between the ages of 18-59.