How income affects your physical activity level?
Higher income individuals are more likely to be “weekend warriors”, getting most of their activity on only a few days a week and also spend more time in sedentary pursuits, says a study.
According to a Study:
- The researchers used accelerometer data to analyse physical activity.
- In addition, sedentary behaviour in relation to income levels among 5,206 US adults.
- Enrolled in The National Health and Examination Survey from 2003-06, a nationally representative survey.
- The study found that compared to those making less than $20,000 per year.
- Those with an annual income of $75,000 or more engaged in 4.6 more daily minutes of moderate to vigorous intensity physical activity as measured by activity monitors.
- High income individuals also engaged in 9.3 fewer minutes of light intensity activity and spent 11.8 more minutes daily sedentary.
- One of the researchers said.
- Our findings pertaining to income and the ‘weekend warrior’ effect.
- In addition underscore the importance of tailoring the physical activity message to reflect the constraints of both low and high income individuals.
- Income could be be a prominent barrier to engaging in physical activity.
- Individuals with low incomes face time constraints as well as other barriers.
- Furthermore, including lack of exercise facilities, parks and open space.
- As well as an inflexible work environment and have been shown to be less likely to meet physical activity guidelines.
- Meanwhile, higher income individuals who often also have limited time have more resources and places to exercise which could facilitate their ability to meet activity guidelines.
- However, they also are more likely to hold sedentary jobs like office work.
Read also:Action video games may affect memory!
- Feeling bad without phone? Beware, it can be Nomophobia - August 20, 2017
- Increase in cigarette prices may reduce smoking in elderly - August 20, 2017
- Eating hamburgers, pizza may increase cancer risk: Study - August 20, 2017
- Rishi remembers actors Manorama, Kanhaiyalal! - August 20, 2017
- Technology rescues woman from swimming pool! - August 20, 2017
- Apple releases iOS 11 iPad capabilities in new videos - August 20, 2017
- Know why quizzing is important for students! - August 20, 2017
- Life of an artiste sexier than that of a superstar: Ayushmann - August 20, 2017
- Know how yoga can beat period cramps! - August 20, 2017
- Best street food for your appetite! - August 20, 2017