How income affects your physical activity level?
Higher income individuals are more likely to be “weekend warriors”, getting most of their activity on only a few days a week and also spend more time in sedentary pursuits, says a study.
According to a Study:
- The researchers used accelerometer data to analyse physical activity.
- In addition, sedentary behaviour in relation to income levels among 5,206 US adults.
- Enrolled in The National Health and Examination Survey from 2003-06, a nationally representative survey.
- The study found that compared to those making less than $20,000 per year.
- Those with an annual income of $75,000 or more engaged in 4.6 more daily minutes of moderate to vigorous intensity physical activity as measured by activity monitors.
- High income individuals also engaged in 9.3 fewer minutes of light intensity activity and spent 11.8 more minutes daily sedentary.
- One of the researchers said.
- Our findings pertaining to income and the ‘weekend warrior’ effect.
- In addition underscore the importance of tailoring the physical activity message to reflect the constraints of both low and high income individuals.
- Income could be be a prominent barrier to engaging in physical activity.
- Individuals with low incomes face time constraints as well as other barriers.
- Furthermore, including lack of exercise facilities, parks and open space.
- As well as an inflexible work environment and have been shown to be less likely to meet physical activity guidelines.
- Meanwhile, higher income individuals who often also have limited time have more resources and places to exercise which could facilitate their ability to meet activity guidelines.
- However, they also are more likely to hold sedentary jobs like office work.
Read also:Action video games may affect memory!
- Enjoy Diwali sans guilt - October 17, 2017
- Essentials every man should carry - October 17, 2017
- Right footwear this festive season - October 17, 2017
- Head to toe, go for festive fashion - October 17, 2017
- Day 3: The District Level Kho-Kho championship 2017 - October 17, 2017
- Technoites celebrated Pre-Diwali in college campus - October 15, 2017
- Day 2: The District Level Kho-Kho championship 2017 - October 15, 2017
- Realtooth’s New Branch : Smile like a Boss - October 15, 2017
- Blaze of Art: Handmade Things in this Diwali - October 15, 2017
- The District Level Kho-Kho championship 2017 - October 15, 2017