Women in India are nearly 40 times more likely to die after being assaulted than their peers in the US, finds a comparative analysis of trauma data from both countries.Read also:Know the Reason behind your Hairfall
According to a Study:
- In the study, researchers from the University of Washington found three major causes of injury.
- Falls, road traffic accidents and domestic violence.
- Indian men were more likely to die after sustaining any one of the three categories of injury.
- In addition,than either Indian women or US men and women.
- On the other hand, US men were three times as likely to die after sustaining a fall than US women.
- However, the greatest disparity in risk of death emerged for Indian and US women.
- Furthermore,who had assaulted a difference the researchers described as "unparalleled".
- Domestic violence was found to increase the risk of death in Indian women by nearly 40 times than among the US women.
- Importantly, evidence showed that only one in four female victims of assault in India.
- Actively seeks care after experiencing intimate partner violence.
According to a researcher:
- The higher odds of death for Indian females compared with US females suggest that there are other injury.
- And systemic factors that contribute to this discrepancy in mortality odds.
- For the study, the team drew on information submitted to Indian (11,670 cases) and US (14,155 cases) trauma databases for 2013 to 2015.
- The Indian database comprised patients from four hospitals in Kolkata, Mumbai and Delhi.
- While the US database included patients treated at level 1 trauma centres in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.